There was a period of time when one of us had some serious health issues that required some dietary restrictions for almost a year. During that time, we stocked up on recipes and ingredient knowledge in order to accommodate the various foods and food groups that were no longer allowed as part of that diet.
What that lead to was a multitude of clean-eating recipes that were acceptable for a wide range of dietary restrictions and, because of the sheer amount of time cooking can take when you’re limited with your options, a whole lot that were quick and easy!
It was when we were looking for quick, energy-packed snacks that we stumbled upon a vegan, gluten-free multi-seed cracker recipe that was not only easy and fast to make, but also super healthy and good for multiple things – from snacks on the go, to energy boosters before and after workouts, to dippable or spreadable crackers.
These are super simple to make and are delicious as well as healthy and we love to eat these crackers on their own or with great tasting dips like Sabra hummus. We’ll often add these crackers to one of our party platters with several Sabra hummus flavours like in our Super Bowl Pop-Up Platter! It creates a snack or platter that anyone can enjoy.
Healthy Multi-Seed Cracker Recipe
This makes approximately 25 larger crackers and can be stored in an air tight container for a couple weeks.
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 1 1/2 cup of any of the following seeds: raw sunflower, raw pumpkin, raw sesame, raw hemp, raw, whole flax (We prefer 1/2 cup each of pumpkin, sunflower and sesame seeds).
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 medium cloves of garlic, finely grated (optional)
- Seasoning of choice: pepper, chilli flakes, onion powder, oregano, rosemary, thyme (optional)
In a bowl, combine seeds, seasoning (if desired), grated garlic and 1/4 tsp of salt and stir
- Add water and stir until well combined
- Let mixture sit for a few minutes until mixture becomes almost gelatinous (what results when chia seeds absorb the water)
- Preheat oven to 300F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Spread mixture out onto sheet in 2-3 rectangles, spreading out until 1/4″ or thinner
- Sprinkle some more salt on top
- Bake for 35 minutes
- Flip rectangles and bake for another 35 minutes or until lightly golden around the edges
- Let cool for 10 minutes before breaking into smaller crackers and let cool completely
- Crackers are ready to be dipped! These can also be stored in an airtight container or frozen for later use
Keep this post for later or share with others on Pinterest – just hover over the image below & click “Pin it”! If on MOBILE, tap the photo below & click ‘Pin It’ when it appears!